Monday 10 March 2014

Swan lake & the Nobbies, Jan 27th 2014

I seem to have a backlog of photos at the moment. These were taken back in January when I took an afternoon drive out to Swan Lake and the Nobbies. I managed to get some great bird of prey sightings.

A pair of Whistling Kites were whistling away at each other at the lake but too far for a decent shot. It was only when I started walking away that I saw one fly close to the hide. I quietly jogged back to the hide and was rewarded with these shots. 

Whistling Kite, Haliastur sphenurus


There was plenty of other bird life about and I'm finally starting to look a little harder at the groups of ducks on the banks. A while ago I would have seen a group of ducks and moved on. Now I'm discovering that there are always different breeds hiding amongst the larger groups.

Like in the shot below, there is a Black Swan, a couple of Hardheads, a Coot, Pacific Black Duck, Australian Shelduck all amongst a group of Teals.


The next 2 shots show a row of Australasian Shovelers (in front with orange legs) with more Teals and a Black-fronted Dotterel in the background.



It's the first time I've seen Freckled ducks at Swan lake.

Freckled Duck, Stictonetta naevosa
Great Cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo
White-faced Heron, Egretta novaehollandiae
I drove out to the Nobbies, which was crowded with long weekend tourists. I got excited thinking I'd spotted something new when this large brown bird flew past the lookout. It was only when it landed next to 2 Pacific Gulls for a feed that I realised this was a juvenile. 
Thanks to Pete who has now pointed out that they may actually be Kelp Gulls. I've had a closer look at the adults and am convinced that they are actually Kelp Gulls and that will add another tick to my list! 

Kelp Gull (juvenile), Larus dominicanus

Adults feeding juvenile


Some heavily cropped shots of the adults. Shows a slimmer head and bill (compared to the Pacific Gull), small red spot on the lower part of bill and pure white tail in flight. 














A fairy penguin peeked out from a nesting hole along the boardwalk.

Fairy Penguin, Eudyptula minor
I took a drive amongst the big tourist buses along the back Boulevard road and found some Kestrels and Kites hovering on the wind whilst looking for prey. I was really happy with how the shots turned out and am now thinking I should start trying to get more action shots of  birds on my outings.

Black-shouldered Kite, Elanus axillaris



Nankeen Kestrel, Falco cenchroides

3 comments:

  1. Hey Rachael, I've learnt that some of the larger gulls at The Nobbies turn out to be Kelp gulls. 'can't really tell from the one shot but the colourings of the birds feeding the youngun make me think that these may be Kelp gulls. Have you got any more photos? The legs and bill have an insipid look to them which makes me think Kelp. Looking at your list may be lifer!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. and they nest there! There's just about always a kelp gull or two on one of the rock stacks at the end of "the blowhole" boardwalk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, thanks Pete. I've been back to look at my photos and I think you are right. The adults have a slightly slimmer head and beak and looks to only have a red spot on the lower half of the beak. I was a little confused however with the tail (it's supposed to be completely white) but after finding a photo with one of the adults in flight (with white tail), realised it's probably just the black wings covering it when at rest. Another tick to the list - excellent :-)

    ReplyDelete