Monday 10 March 2014

Buff-banded Rail

There's been a few occasions whilst walking the dog that I've seen a type of Rail dart across the path in front of us and into the reeds. It's always so quick and once it's run off doesn't usually make another appearance any time soon - especially with the dog around.

On this particular walk though, I got lucky! I still had the dog with me but I saw the bird out in the open quite a distance away before it saw us. Thankfully Tesla was very patient (and quiet) and was happy to sit and wait while I fiddled with my camera and tried to sneak up on the bird.

The resulting picture is from quite a distance away, but I was still happy to tick it off my list. 

Buff-banded Rail, Gallirallus philippensis
I continued on our walk around the lake. The water level had dropped significantly and was full of waders.

Purple Swamphen, Porphyrio porphyrio
Black-winged Stilt, Himantopus himantopus
Latham's Snipe, Gallinago hardwickii
I'm still on the lookout for the Spotless Crake that keeps getting reported down there.

1 comment:

  1. Good onya Tesla!
    I get real buzz seeing BBR. They were a bogey bird for me for some years (now I seem to see them everywhere - you get that)!

    ReplyDelete