Thursday 25 June 2015

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet & Gang-gang Cockatoos - June 2015

Back at Macleod I was on the hunt for the Scaly-breasted Lorikeet. A few people had posted some photos of these birds whilst looking for the Swift Parrots and I had managed to get some info on where I might just find them. Unfortunately they weren't in the trees I had been directed to, but I did meet up with another birder who helped me find them.

They were in a tree full of noisy Rainbow and Musk Lorikeets - something I would have easily overlooked had it not been for this other birder. She checked out every single bird in that tree through her binoculars until she saw something a little bit different right up at the very top of the canopy.

They were hard to see so high up and obscured by branches and leaves but the few photos we got gave us a positive ID.

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Trichoglossus chlorolepidotus
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Trichoglossus chlorolepidotus
I'll be keeping an eye out for them in the area in the hopes of getting a better photo.

We also ran into another birder who had just photographed some Gang-gang Cockatoos a little way up the road. I headed off in that direction but by the time I found them they were hanging out up the top of some very large gums. I got a few distant shots but will try again next time I'm there to get something better.

Gang-gang Cockatoo, Callocephalon fimbriatum
Gang-gang Cockatoo, Callocephalon fimbriatum

Both species are new to my list, bringing my total tally to 223.


No comments:

Post a Comment